With introduction by John Scalzi.
Paul Cornell has written Doctor Who for the BBC, Batman & Robin for DC, and Wolverine for Marvel. He has won the BSFA Award for his short fiction, the Eagle Award for his comics, and shares a Writer’s Guild Award for television. He is one of only two people to be Hugo Award nominated for all three media.
A Better Way to Die is his first ever short story collection, providing a comprehensive overview of his work. Featured here are both his contributions to George RR Martin’s Wildcards series and all the Jonathan Hamilton stories, including “One of Our Bastards is Missing”, shortlisted for the Hugo Award in 2010, and “A Better Way to Die”, winner of a BSFA Award in 2011.
1. Introduction by John Scalzi
2. Sunflower Pump * Bonus story, hardback edition only
3. The Deer Stalker
4. Michael Laurits is: DROWNING
5. Global Collider Generation: an Idyll
6. Secret Identity
7. The Occurrence at Slocombe Priory
8. A Map of Lychford * Bonus story, hardback edition only
9. The Sensible Folly
10. More (Wild Cards)
11. The Elephant in the Room (Wild Cards)
12. A New Arrival at the House of Love
13. The Ghosts of Christmas
15. Ramesses on the Frontier
16. Zeta Reticuli
17. Catherine Drewe
18. One of our Bastards is Missing
19. The Copenhagen Interpretation
20. A Better Way to Die